Thursday, October 9, 2014

style academy 3

Absolute phrases
            I looked for an activity that I thought I could help me, so I decided to try the absolute phrases activity. In my past paper, I seemed to lack some conviction in what I was saying. I had a lot of logic, but instead of really saying “This is the way it is” I said “I think it’s this way”. That is not very effective in a rhetorical situation, so I wanted to try to do better and I thought that absolute phrases might be able to help me. They sound firm and strong, what I need.

            The Concept really was not what I Thought it was at all. Instead of teaching me how to write more forcefully, confidently, it taught me how to combine two sentences in a different way. I was sad that it didn't teach me what I thought it would, but I did find the writing style to be more intriguing. I agree that the separated sentences he showed were boring, and Being able to combine them into one flowing sentence, just by taking out the “to be” verb, was really cool. I can definitely see how that would help me to keep the readers intrigued in what I was writing. Honestly, I have the most fun with these activates when it allows me to add my own parts to the sentence, like it did with the last exercise. That allows me to add what I want to the stories, intrigue, mystery, shock, whatever I feel like. I am not sure I am doing the method right, I often just add “ing” to the verbs to make it fit, but he said that was one of the strategies. So I might not have gotten what I expected out of this assignment, but what I did get will help me to be a more compelling speaker, and I need that.

No comments:

Post a Comment